Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There is something missing here...

Some days are harder than others, and sometimes you are not even sure why until things are put into a painful perspective.

Let's look at me, shall we?  In case you don't know, I am living in Montreal, in my thirties, single, teaching at a college, writing when I can, and lonely as fuck.  I did not really care about the latter point until this morning when I felt that something was knawing at my thoughts and would not let me rest.  I thought I knew what it was, but I see that this is different...

Ahh, yes. Father's day, or in some circles, Baby Daddy day.  I should also mention that I am West Indian in background and grew up, for the most part without a father.  Before he died of a heart attack when I was ten years old - and it was on the eve of Christmas, too - I knew him as a violent and dangerous figure of authority who did not understand how his own pain could not be erased by abusing me.  I know that I felt cheated and angry when he died and that I am still dealing with this today. 
He should have been my role model.  He had that chances, and now I know that his verbal and physical abuse masked a little boy who never grew out of his own pain to become a real man.  And this is why I feel very cheated an angry this particular Sunday in June.

No comments: