Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Jabulani


Okay, now soccer (or futbol, if you prefer)...

I am really into it this year, especially with the strangeness of the World Cup results (Switzerland over Spain, anyone?).  And then there is the ball, the Jabulani, designed by Adidas AG by Hans-Peter Nuernber, the senior engineer with the company.

This is what I learned (from the Globe and Mail): "The ball features several high-tech innovations, including tiny bumps on its surface aimed at stabilizing its trajectory." 

That's right: they are playing the World Cup with a great big golf ball.

Goalkeepers are saying that the ball is unpredictable.  I sympathize: I am writing this a day after playing a game of pick-up soccer (sorry, futbol) with a friend and various kids and adults who wanted to get into it.  I was in the net and got stomped.  No, we did not use the Jabu, but I got it into my head that the ball was possessed (three goals in ten minutes!?!).

But this is fun.  Apart from the drone of the vuvuzelas, this is a good kick in the pants for a bunch of spoiled, overpaid brats who complain about the noises in the stands and take dives when the wind passes through their hair (I am looking at you, Italy). 

Keep kicking those golf balls!

No comments: