Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Sell Out (Part 6)


More on music:

I have been thinking about hip-hop and how it has definitely sold out.  Yeah, that sounds like blasphemy, but there is something seriously wrong with the whole culture when the wife of the biggest producer in rap music today can sing at the White House and no one blinks.

Don't get me wrong.  I think things are great with the industry (the only part of the music biz that is still making good money).  I remember how hated it was and when teachers would warn us against listening to it.  Now, I hear rap in commercials for children's cereal.  I see hip-hop characters in children's programming.  I have heard reporters - who had no right to do so - use "bling" and "shorties" without any sense of irony...

Stetsasonic, Public Enemy, EPMD and NWA, come home.  Your culture needs you...

No comments: