Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's Over...


Spain, after a very tough match with extra time, beat the Netherlands 1-0.  Again, I was in a café when they finished the regular timed game, but I decided to head to a computer to see what would come up on the FIFA web site.  The problem was I was watching the game with a crowd that was predominantly for the Spaniards (it was the Latin Quarter) and I was worried about possible shots to the face if I cheered a possible Dutch win.  Well, no problem there...

In a way, I am glad that I don't have to follow the beautiful game for another four years.  And it was a great tournament.  The one thing about the World Cup is that it really does bring people together.  I looked around that café and noted that the people cheering for Spain could not all have been Spanish.  I live in a French province with large groups of Arabic, Spanish, Hindi, English and the like in this city.  So, there was a space for all of us.

Until 2014...

No comments: